So, What The Frickin'-Frackin' Fa-Foodle Are You Mofos Listening To Lately?
Dougie
2005-09-17 02:39:09 UTC
I haven't been reading much here lately due to lack of time,
compu-troubles, and still having to read it via Google, which sucks
major unfortunately-not-my-cock, so I don't know if there's been one of
these threads recently, but...

Current listening:

The fucking radio at work - which mostly sucks, but at least had the
decency to play a couple Lennon songs today. (Woman and Watching The
Wheels, two of my favorites.)

Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene, Excitable Boy, Genius: Best Of
(I've had the bizarre need to play Lawyers Guns And Money about
seventeen times a day recently. Probably because I've been trying to go
home with a waitress.)

Jean-Luc Ponty - pretty much all his 1970s catalog. Big fusion week.

Dennis Most & The Instigators - Vampire City
Dennis Most & Audio Love - Live At El Cid 1976 - Dennis is a friend
living here in Indy (his brother is the lead singer of one of my
current bands) and we're about ready to start work on reviving an old
acoustic duo project we haven't done since fall of '98. (I played with
three bands in five hours on the last gig I did with him.) He's
currently undergoing a bit of underground punk success from some of his
'70s material (even Jello Biafra has praised his stuff), playing some
gigs on the East Coast, and having doing a brief tour of Italy a few
years ago. Vampire City is the newest album, and if you like good fast
raw punk-metal (with titles like Sex Is An Art Form and Excuse My
Spunk), it's a lot of fun. The Audio Love live disc is a fucking
terrifying blast of metallic Stooges-derived debris from a time when
virtually no one sounded like that. The grinding versions of Lucifer
Sam and Who Are The Brain Police are worth the pice of admission on
their own, but the whole thing is a blazing motherfuck of a ride and
I'm proud to know the guy. Our project will be far more sedate, with
lots of '50s and '60s rock/blues stuff. I like playing with him. He
inspires me to play as simply but effectively as possible, which I'm
not good at when behaving like Jack Bruce on crack in my other bands.

XTC - Wasp Star, Nonesuch - Practically my soundtrack these days. They
get play in my car during breaks at work almost every day. Then She
Appeared and We're All Light have become two of my favorite things
ever, and compliment my current mood very, very well. Love is a very
fine thing.

Jethro Tull - Catfish Rising - I can't get enough of this shit. My
current favorite lyric on the planet is in When Jesus Came To Play -
"I got no twelve disciples, and I got no cross to bear
If you thought you had me crucified, I guess you weren't there."

Steve Hackett - The Unauthorized Biography - a very nice collection of
early solo stuff. Spectral Mornings still sends shiverage.

MKB at Progday - D9 and JD, I send you virtual oral sex in honor of
your fine work in bringing this audio documnetation to the masses.
Huzzah!

Burst Of Reality - '92/'93 demos. A band I played in years ago. These
crazy fuckers got in touch with me last week for the first time in over
a decade. I've been listening to this stuff and missing them terribly,
thinking about how much of an asshole I felt like when I left that
band. Our original tunes were interesting, and our guitariast was a
motherfucker. I'm a bit embarrassed by some of my playing on this shit,
other times I can't believe how good I used to be before I let life get
in my way of being creative. I'm glad to be talking with them again.

Current viewing:

Real Time With Bill Maher - Yay! I have cable again! Seeing Kurt
Vonnegut this week was a treat, but does that guy look like an elder
being from a Star Trek movie or what? And seeing George Carlin
was...damn, he's getting old. He's one of my heroes, and I'm going to
be very fucking sad when he leaves us. Great Carlin quote: "Let Bush
choose his Supreme Court. They chose him, he can choose them."

Chris Rock - Bring The Pain. Older stuff, still funny as fuck.

La Vallee - old hippie movie Pink Floyd did the soundtrack to.(Obscured
By CLouds.) I haven't actually watched this yet, because I'm scared.

The Weather Channel - Jesus Christ, that Mother Nature has been a
fucking BITCH lately.

Current reading:

Hunter S. Thompson - The Great Shark Hunt - which I've been working on
for three months now.

H.P. Lovecraft - various - Re-reading The Shadow Over Innsmouth, which
is one fo the most original, atmospheric and ridiculous pieces of
horror short-fiction in existence. I adore it like the pretentious Iron
Maiden-worshipping brother I never had.

Kurt Vonnegut - Brekfast Of Champions. not actually reading it yet, but
it's on my table ready to do.

The newspaper - But only for short bits. I'm trying not to be depressed
these days, and every fucking thing I read is one king-hell bummer.

Current drinking:

Jim Beam Rye and Woodchuck Amber Cider. Talk about Breakfast Of
Champions, bitch!

Shrimp scampi is making lovely trails in my colon.
Dougie
J. D. Mack
2005-09-17 04:29:41 UTC
My latest CD-R collection of mp3 albums in my car contains:

The Buggles - Adventures in Modern Recording. I made my mp3s from an
old cassette I found for 50 cents. This is not too different from a
good Thomas Dolby album!

Henry Cow - Western Civilation. Let me get back to you on this one

Frank Zappa - Make A Jazz Noise Here. Ain't emusic.com wunneful?

Mitch Hedberg - Strategic Grill Locations. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK
YOU Rich Pike and None Radio for introducing me to this guy!

Yuri Yunakov and Ivo Papsov - Together Again. Their newest CD (and
first in about 14 years). It's OK, but not nearly as firey as their
live show.

At Home:

I'm on a Queen kick. I was mulling over the fact that I don't own
some of their albums on CD that I owned as a teenager. Then the light
went on - I still have the vinyl records in the next room! Transfered
"Jazz" "Live Killers" and "Queen II" to mp3 goodness for car
listening.

Other:

My roommate gave me a CD with a bunch of recent George Carlin albums
(again, in mp3 format. Thank goodness I have no audiophile
aspirations). I loved Carlin's albums from the 1970s, and I laughed a
few times at the newer material, but somewhere in the middle of it
all, I realized that I was being assaulted with wave after wave of
negative energy. I don't need that much negative energy in my life
right now. I threw the disc away.

Reading:

The Dirk Gently novels of Douglas Adams. Even though I've read them a
few times before, I still don't understand the endings of these two
books.

J. D.
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-18 01:45:13 UTC
Lessee...

Listening to:

Zappa/Zubin Mehta - May 15, 1970
Zappa - 1980 Rehearsals
MKB - 9/4/2005 ProgDay (Yay JD!!!)
Steve Vai - Archives Vol. 4
Johnny Cash - Legend
David Bowie - Singles
Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
My wife - bitching that the vehicle needs repaired again

Watching (or just watched or just about to watch):

Rev. Horton Heat - Live and In Color (loved the story of when he met Jimbo)
Crossroads Guitar Festival - Disc 2
Queen - Live At The Bowl (awesome, just awesome - I miss Freddie Mercury)
Rick James - Live 1982
Rock School
Chappelle's Show Season One
Soap Season Three

Reading:

Magazines
Baseball: A Literary Anthology (when I'm pooping)
Jasper Fforde - Lost In A Good Book (soon, I hope)
Kurt Vonnegut - Man Without A Country (soon, I hope)

Recording:

Backing tracks for my mother to use at church - three Johnny Cash covers.

Alan
Dave Wilcher
2005-09-18 02:43:55 UTC
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Zappa/Zubin Mehta - May 15, 1970
MKB - 9/4/2005 ProgDay (Yay JD!!!)
Yep, me too. Picked up a Big Bill Broonzy collection a few days ago.
Post by Alan Tignanelli
My wife - bitching that the vehicle needs repaired again
Are you *really* listening, or is that just background noise?
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Jasper Fforde - Lost In A Good Book (soon, I hope)
Hmm, this sounds really good, thanks.
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Kurt Vonnegut - Man Without A Country (soon, I hope)
This too!

David McCullough - 1776
Donald L. Maggin - Dizzy: The Life And Times Of John Birks Gillespie
James P. Hogan - The Legend That Was Earth
Alan Dean Foster - The Dig
Umberto Eco - The Mysterious Flame Of Queen Loana
Bob Woodward - The Secret Man
Gene Riehl - Sleeper
Barney Hoskyns - Into The Void: Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath
Kim Stanley Robinson - Fourty Signs Of Rain
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince
Sheri S. Tepper - The Family Tree
Joel Garreau - Radical Evolution
T.H. White - The Book Of Merlyn
John Gribbin and Mary Gribbin - Richard Feynman: A Life In Science

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-18 15:16:27 UTC
Post by Dave Wilcher
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Jasper Fforde - Lost In A Good Book (soon, I hope)
Hmm, this sounds really good, thanks.
And it's remaindered at Barnes & Noble for about $6. Which I found out AFTER I bought a used
paperback copy for $5. Timing

Alan

was never my strong point.
smeenus
2005-09-18 03:24:12 UTC
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Lessee...
I'm withya so far...
Post by Alan Tignanelli
MKB - 9/4/2005 ProgDay (Yay JD!!!)
I've gotta get one of these, where can I sign up for not-being-stupid
lessons?
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Rev. Horton Heat - Live and In Color
Hello Paul,
Thank you for your purchase, your order has been received.

When your order is shipped, you will receive another email which will
include your order tracking information. Please be advised that if you
ordered multiple items, your order may arrive in separate packages.

The following item(s) are included with this order:

Order No.:
XXXXXXXXXXX

Item:
Reverend Horton Heat - Live and In Color (DVD)

Quantity: 1

(this e-mail was received approx. 300 seconds after reading Alan's
post, which is when I learned of the existence of this DVD)
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Queen - Live At The Bowl (awesome, just awesome - I miss Freddie Mercury)
I'd have ordered this, but I just bought the Rev DVD... 8^P
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Rick James - Live 1982
He's super freaky...
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Magazines
Oh, c'mon we don't need to get *that* specific, *jeez*...
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Baseball: A Literary Anthology
That sounds *sweet^
Post by Alan Tignanelli
(when I'm pooping)
That...uhhh...*doesn't*
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Kurt Vonnegut - Man Without A Country (soon, I hope)
It's been a *long* time (about 10 years) since I read any Vonnegut
(Hocus Pocus)

Oh Yeah, Alan, something else I haven't seen in a long time:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/scoreboard
ftss
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-18 15:35:20 UTC
Post by smeenus
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Queen - Live At The Bowl (awesome, just awesome - I miss Freddie Mercury)
I'd have ordered this, but I just bought the Rev DVD... 8^P
As Ron said, the second disc isn't that great. Certainly nothing close to the caliber of the
'Bohemian Rhapsody' stuff on the second disc of the first video collection (which I intend to watch
on the third of next month for at least the fourth time with a fifth while desperately trying to get
sixth).
Post by smeenus
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Rick James - Live 1982
He's super freaky...
And comes out wearing an outfit that Elton John saw and said, "Nah - it's just too much."
Post by smeenus
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Magazines
Oh, c'mon we don't need to get *that* specific, *jeez*...
Okay, fine - the March 2005 Cycle Sport, the new Bassics w/Manring on the cover, October 2005 Guitar
One, and when I'm done with March, the September 2005 Cycle Sport. Oh, and I just finished the new
Playboy with the George Carlin interview and Ozzy 20 questions. God, that magazine has gone
downhill since they hired the editor from Maxim. Fortunately, this sub only cost me about a buck an
issue. Although it was my favorite pictorial - yes, it's College Girls time again.

Funny side story - a few years back, Playboy did The Girls Of The Big East. Being in Pittsburgh
(and a Pitt grad - don't tell anyone, some people think I'm smart at times), I was more than
interested, although the girls featured would have been in grade school at the time I was in
college. I think there were three girls from Pitt - they had them all on a morning radio show. One
of the girls - Monique - brought her boyfriend. They asked him how he felt about her appearing nude
in the mag. The question seemed to have caught him off guard, because the response was, "What,
Connie? <slap> Ow! I mean Monique?"
Post by smeenus
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Baseball: A Literary Anthology
That sounds *sweet^
A tad disappointing, at least what I've read so far. Some of it has been good, some of it not so
much. But it's all been pre-1950 stuff. At least one story is written in the style where the
writer tries to BE the uneducated character and writes with misspellings and grammatical errors, and
it takes a special author/story combination to pull that off well - think "Flowers For Algernon".
This one wasn't it.
Post by smeenus
Post by Alan Tignanelli
(when I'm pooping)
That...uhhh...*doesn't*
Depends on the circumstances. Some are much sweeter than others.
Post by smeenus
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/scoreboard
Sweet, ain't it? First pre-season game I can see on TV is Tuesday - Isles vs. Rangers. I've
already ordered tix for two games this season. Ready and rarin' to go - I just hope they stick with
the rules changes.

Alan

(BTW - send me your addy and I'll get you a ProgDay show if you haven't gotten one already.)
Ron Moses
2005-09-18 04:01:13 UTC
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Lessee...
(snip)
For the past few weeks, not much apart from The Living End's self-titled
album. Wow. But I've really been on more of a movie kick lately.
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Queen - Live At The Bowl (awesome, just awesome - I miss Freddie Mercury)
This is so great. I had considered picking up "We Will Rock You" but I
heard this was better. It's just wonderful... though it could easily have
been a one-disc set. The second disc is all but useless -- the interviews
are moderately interesting but the "bonus" concert footage is nearly
unwatchable. And do the menus need to be SO MUCH LOUDER than the concert?
Was that necessary? Still... so worth having.
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Rock School
I just finished watching this ten minutes ago. Excellent movie, very
inspiring, tons of Zappa content, and easily the most frequent appearance of
the name "Mike Keneally" I've ever seen in a motion picture. And yet no
actual Mike...

And then... I've been very into the cheezy horror movie thing lately. All
three Re-Animators, Basket Case, Phantasm, Maniac, stuff like that. I love
this stuff. I'd so much rather watch a movie that five guys maxed out their
credit cards to make, spending every weekend and vacation day for a year
shooting under the worst possible circumstance, knowing the movie was going
to be kinda stupid but what the fuck it will be awesome anyway, than watch a
slick multi-million dollar remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre or whatever. I
mean... Basket Case may be one of the worst movies ever made, but I love it.
A guy carries his monstrously deformed twin brother around in a basket...
the most ridiculous foam-rubber puppet any actor ever held to his face while
writhing around on the floor screaming... and then the love interest with
the worst wig ever seen... and the hooker with the heart of gold... and the
oh-my-god-it's-so-bad stop motion animation... I mean come on, you have to
love that. If you have any sense of humor at all, and any appreciation for
bad low-budget cinema that knows it's bad but keeps on troopin' anyway, you
have to see Basket Case. It's a classic.

ron
Dougie
2005-09-20 01:59:03 UTC
Post by Ron Moses
[...]
God, that sounds WONDEFRFUL.

I watched Evil Dead again recently, and that is a true hoot and a half.

Dougie
Michael J. Ventura
2005-09-20 10:52:58 UTC
Post by Ron Moses
[...]
Yes! I saw this one in the theatres when it came out - they gave away
special surgical masks with the movie logo stamped on them when you entered
(for all the blood, ha ha!). The brother's name was Belial, or something
like that, wasn't it? Good fun. Yeah, Reanimator too, a severed head
performing cunnilingus - how can you top that?

mike v
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-20 11:16:46 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Yeah, Reanimator too, a severed head
performing cunnilingus - how can you top that?
Uh, by receiving cunnilingus from a severed head, perhaps? I guess fellatio would be tough since
the severed head has no neck.

Alan
m***@gmail.com
2005-09-20 15:34:37 UTC

It's DIY.
Michael J. Ventura
2005-09-20 21:53:21 UTC
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Yeah, Reanimator too, a severed head performing cunnilingus - how can you
top that?
Uh, by receiving cunnilingus from a severed head, perhaps? I guess
fellatio would be tough since the severed head has no neck.
Alan
Yeah, and I guess swallowing just wouldn't be the same, because it would
probably just end up all over you anyway.

mike v

NP (in my head): FZ - Ms. Pinky
Dave Wilcher
2005-09-20 22:20:04 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Uh, by receiving cunnilingus from a severed head, perhaps? I guess
fellatio would be tough since the severed head has no neck.
Yeah, and I guess swallowing just wouldn't be the same, because it
would probably just end up all over you anyway.
It's the thought that counts.

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain
Dougie
2005-09-20 13:36:20 UTC

Post by Michael J. Ventura
performing cunnilingus - how can you top that?
With my new special fish sauce!

I haven't seen Reanimator. That's based on the Lovecraft story, right?
Which is a complete hoot, by the way.

Dougie
Ron Moses
2005-09-20 18:09:16 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
performing cunnilingus - how can you top that?
With my new special fish sauce!
I haven't seen Reanimator. That's based on the Lovecraft story, right?
Which is a complete hoot, by the way.
Reanimator the film is absolutely classic if you're inclined to find that
kind of thing classic. Last night I was lying in bed unable to watch TV
(recovering from LASIK) and I listened to some mp3s I downloaded of Jeffrey
Combs (who plays Herbert West in the films) reading the original Lovecraft
story. Great, great stuff.

ron
Ron Moses
2005-09-20 18:18:07 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
(snip) If you have any sense of humor at all, and any appreciation for
bad low-budget cinema that knows it's bad but keeps on troopin' anyway,
you have to see Basket Case. It's a classic.
Yes! I saw this one in the theatres when it came out - they gave away
special surgical masks with the movie logo stamped on them when you
entered (for all the blood, ha ha!). The brother's name was Belial, or
something like that, wasn't it? Good fun.
Yes, Belial is correct.
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Yeah, Reanimator too, a severed head performing cunnilingus - how can you
top that?
Well, I'm in the middle of watching a little film called "Brain Damage"
(directed by the same guy who did Basket Case), and there is a fellatio
scene that comes pretty damn close.

ron
Bill
2005-11-05 16:40:46 UTC
Listening:
Stevie Wonder - A Time to Love
Miklos Rosza - The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover

Watching:
Tetsuo : The Iron Man

Reading:
Edited by Ibn Warraq - Leaving Islam
Brian Bernardini
2005-11-05 18:27:47 UTC
Listening:
Genesis - Reno 1984 (complete with screaming girls)
The Who - Cleveland 2000 ("accidental" pre-FM recording of full show)
Various cheesy pop songs to learn them for my sub gig
C.P.E. Bach - Prussian Sonata VI, Mvt. 2 (for my grad class)

Watching:
Mostly my various dramas on TV. "How I Met Your Mother" is actually
pretty good, as is "Two and a Half Men". Charlie Sheen is REALLY
starting to take on his father's mannerisms.

Reading:
Carl Hiassen. LOTS of Carl Hiassen. Just finished "Tourist Season" and
started..."Skin Deep", I think. Still have one or two more of the adult
novels, then the first kids novel plus the collections of newspaper
colums.

Eating (shortly):
Chicken tacos, with obscene hot sauce.

Chris Ingalls
2005-11-08 17:50:53 UTC
Revisiting this one, are we? Okay, I'll jump in (again)...

Listening: an unabridged audiobook of "The Closers" by Michael
Connelly. Jamie Cullum's new one, "Catching Tales," is pretty good,
too.

Watching: I'm addicted to CBS Sunday Morning.

Reading: "The Closers" by Michael Connelly. I have this thing about
reading a book and listening to the audiobook version on my iPod when
I'm on foot. It sounds mega-dorky, but I like it. Next I'm going to
read Connelly's new one, "The Lincoln Lawyer."

Eating: I'm on my way to the Fresh City salad bar.

Chris
MARY BUEHLER
2005-11-09 22:44:23 UTC
"Chris Ingalls" done
Post by Chris Ingalls
Reading: "The Closers" by Michael Connelly. I have this thing about
reading a book and listening to the audiobook version on my iPod when
I'm on foot. It sounds mega-dorky, but I like it. Next I'm going to
read Connelly's new one, "The Lincoln Lawyer."
If you like Connelly, you should check out Robert Crais. Elvis Cole rocks
(as much as a fictional detective can rock, that is...)(

SOHOT Gourmet Hot Sauce
2005-11-07 07:33:43 UTC
For the best gourmet hot sauce go here:

http://www.geocities.com/girl2girl416/SOHOT.html
smeenus
2005-09-17 05:13:30 UTC
Post by Dougie
I haven't been reading much here lately due to lack of time,
compu-troubles, and still having to read it via Google, which sucks
major unfortunately-not-my-cock
Go ahead, *pretend* that you haven't been dreaming about my hot
monkey-love...
Post by Dougie
Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene, Excitable Boy, Genius: Best Of
I'm guessing that the EB is my transfer, hope so, anyways...
Post by Dougie
(I've had the bizarre need to play Lawyers Guns And Money about
seventeen times a day recently. Probably because I've been trying to go
home with a waitress.)
Whore...
Post by Dougie
Jean-Luc Ponty - pretty much all his 1970s catalog.
Including my transfer of the Live (Cosmic Messenger era) album, I
presume, tracks from which pop up quite frequently on my iPod.
Post by Dougie
XTC - Wasp Star, Nonesuch - Practically my soundtrack these days.
I've heard a lot of Wasp Star/Apple Venus on the 'Pod this week, along
with English Settlement/Skylarking
Post by Dougie
Jethro Tull - Catfish Rising - I can't get enough of this shit. My
current favorite lyric on the planet is in When Jesus Came To Play -
"I got no twelve disciples, and I got no cross to bear
If you thought you had me crucified, I guess you weren't there."
Steve Hackett - The Unauthorized Biography - a very nice collection of
early solo stuff. Spectral Mornings still sends shiverage.
Both of whom are here in Seattle along with Adrian Belew during the 1st
half of October. I can't possibly make all 3, I've got some choices to
make.
Post by Dougie
MKB at Progday - D9 and JD, I send you virtual oral sex in honor of
your fine work in bringing this audio documnetation to the masses.
Huzzah!
I'd have downloaded this show if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a
total fuckin' idiot.

I've played the Slayer/Still Reigning DVD about 17 times the past
couple of weeks. I missed The Ditty Bops opening for Tori Amos last
week thanks to the Jay Oh Bee... :-(

I've been watching Tripping The Rift on Sci-Fi lately, not so much for
the humor (it's really not that funny) but more for the computer
animated booby-jiggle fest, which just *proves* what a sick *fuck* I
am. I'm also waiting (im) patiently for the new Mikey-ized Sadhappy, I
still have inoperable tuberculosis of the face (cough), and, Oh yeah, I
work for Radio Shack.

Kill me...
ftss
Dougie
2005-09-20 01:45:36 UTC
Post by smeenus
Go ahead, *pretend* that you haven't been dreaming about my hot
monkey-love...
OK.

I haven't been dreamimg about...about...damn, I'm getting warm....OK! I
ADMIT IT! I NEED THE MOIST MONKEY-DERIVED MEAT OF A LARGE BALD MAN IN
SEATTLE!!!

There. You happy now, you fucking slutmuffin?
Post by smeenus
Post by Dougie
Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene, Excitable Boy, Genius: Best Of
I'm guessing that the EB is my transfer, hope so, anyways...
Nope. Because I don't have it. But given the choice, I'll take the
monkeys, baby.
Post by smeenus
Post by Dougie
(I've had the bizarre need to play Lawyers Guns And Money about
seventeen times a day recently. Probably because I've been trying to go
home with a waitress.)
Whore...
I hope...
Post by smeenus
Post by Dougie
Jean-Luc Ponty - pretty much all his 1970s catalog.
Including my transfer of the Live (Cosmic Messenger era) album, I
presume, tracks from which pop up quite frequently on my iPod.
Hmmm. I remember you talking about this, but I don't think I have that
either,. I've got the album, just not your version.
Post by smeenus
Post by Dougie
XTC - Wasp Star, Nonesuch - Practically my soundtrack these days.
I've heard a lot of Wasp Star/Apple Venus on the 'Pod this week, along
with English Settlement/Skylarking
I've had such a strong attachment to the period from Oranges & Lemons
to the present, and it's certainly nothing against the earlier
material, most of which I utterly, utterly adore, but the newer stuff
has been where my head'sa been at almost constantly for several months
now.
Post by smeenus
Post by Dougie
Jethro Tull - Catfish Rising - I can't get enough of this shit. My
current favorite lyric on the planet is in When Jesus Came To Play -
"I got no twelve disciples, and I got no cross to bear
If you thought you had me crucified, I guess you weren't there."
Steve Hackett - The Unauthorized Biography - a very nice collection of
early solo stuff. Spectral Mornings still sends shiverage.
Both of whom are here in Seattle along with Adrian Belew during the 1st
half of October. I can't possibly make all 3, I've got some choices to
make.
Hackett is too far from here at exactly the wrong time for me to see
him again. But I do note with much surprise and delight that his first
four solo albums (you know, the ones ESSENTIAL FOR THE EXISTENCE OF
LIFE ON THIS PLANET) are finally remastered with bonus tracks, as
opposed to shit-mastered by tone-deaf lunatics as in the case of the
CDs currently infesting my collection.

Tull, the fuckers, aren't coming near ehre either. And after I just
bought the Crest Of A Knave remaster last night. Fucking fuckity.
Post by smeenus
I've been watching Tripping The Rift on Sci-Fi lately, not so much for
the humor (it's really not that funny) but more for the computer
animated booby-jiggle fest, which just *proves* what a sick *fuck* I
am.
Join the club, my cute little hairless friend.

Post by smeenus
still have inoperable tuberculosis of the face (cough), and, Oh yeah, I
work for Radio Shack.
but you have hot monkey love, and that cures all.
Post by smeenus
Kill me...
Oh, I did that the LAST time you had me tie you up. Christ, you're such
an unimaginative cunt, dude.

Dougie
snow lizard
2005-09-17 06:31:19 UTC
Sincerely, I haven't been listening to fuck all for music these days
(although every now and then I tend to throw Streetniks by the Shuffle
Demons in, just because it's some of the very STUPIDEST and very BEST
fusion this side of the Vedder (no, not THAT Vedder...) and because I
didn't have a chance to spend years on the bonus tunes on the CD back
in the tortured vinyl days... particularily Bag Rot), but Dougie
Post by Dougie
Jean-Luc Ponty - pretty much all his 1970s catalog.
I'm not sure that I've heard all of his '70's catalog, but Imaginary
Voyage and Cosmic Messenger have made the rounds over here. I might
have to dig those ones out soon. I was hooked on that stuff for quite
a while after I found it. There's a JLP thing with the George Duke
Trio that I think I like better than those ones, but I can't remember.
King Kong slays all of them, IMWALTO. (The story of a very large
gorilla who lived in the jungle... and he was doing ok... until some
Americans came along and took him home with them. And they USED the
gorilla. Then they killed him. - paraphrased from FZ live in concert,
probably not entirely accurately, but what the fuck.) I have a couple
of others that seemed a bit more sedate at the time.

I'm curious to see what Keneally would sound like with a violin player
in the band.

Oh, except for the various Prog Day tunes I've just been checking out.
JD and Da9ve are Flac Torrent Kings. That's one hell of a jam session.
Proclamation Cowlogy... Career/Quimby Transit Authority? Anyway, it's
very nice.

sl
Sam Rouse
2005-09-17 07:15:47 UTC
Post by Dougie
Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene, Excitable Boy, Genius: Best Of
Hunter S. Thompson - The Great Shark Hunt - which I've been working on
Have you read any of Carl Hiassen's novels? Warren Z. was a close friend of
his; Hiassen wrote the lyrics to a couple of Zevon songs. His writing has been
compared to Thompson (a stretch, but there's a touch of the gonzo). They are
Florida-based comic thrillers, with weird characters and occurrences that
Hiassen admits are often lifted from the local newspapers. Quite a hoot.
Brian Bernardini
2005-09-17 12:37:30 UTC
Post by Sam Rouse
Post by Dougie
Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene, Excitable Boy, Genius: Best Of
Hunter S. Thompson - The Great Shark Hunt - which I've been working on
Have you read any of Carl Hiassen's novels? Warren Z. was a close friend of
his; Hiassen wrote the lyrics to a couple of Zevon songs. His writing has been
compared to Thompson (a stretch, but there's a touch of the gonzo). They are
Florida-based comic thrillers, with weird characters and occurrences that
Hiassen admits are often lifted from the local newspapers. Quite a hoot.
The wife and I listened to one of Hiassen's books on our most recent
trip to Maine. Good stuff.

Brian Bernardini
2005-09-17 19:56:45 UTC
In article
Post by Brian Bernardini
Post by Sam Rouse
Post by Dougie
Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene, Excitable Boy, Genius: Best Of
Hunter S. Thompson - The Great Shark Hunt - which I've been working on
Have you read any of Carl Hiassen's novels? Warren Z. was a close friend of
his; Hiassen wrote the lyrics to a couple of Zevon songs. His writing has been
compared to Thompson (a stretch, but there's a touch of the gonzo). They are
Florida-based comic thrillers, with weird characters and occurrences that
Hiassen admits are often lifted from the local newspapers. Quite a hoot.
The wife and I listened to one of Hiassen's books on our most recent
trip to Maine. Good stuff.
And I just checked out 6 or so of his books at two different libraries.

Sam Rouse
2005-09-17 20:29:47 UTC
Post by Brian Bernardini
In article
Post by Brian Bernardini
Post by Sam Rouse
Post by Dougie
Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene, Excitable Boy, Genius: Best Of
Hunter S. Thompson - The Great Shark Hunt - which I've been working on
Have you read any of Carl Hiassen's novels? Warren Z. was a close friend of
his; Hiassen wrote the lyrics to a couple of Zevon songs. His writing
has
been
compared to Thompson (a stretch, but there's a touch of the gonzo). They are
Florida-based comic thrillers, with weird characters and occurrences that
Hiassen admits are often lifted from the local newspapers. Quite a hoot.
The wife and I listened to one of Hiassen's books on our most recent
trip to Maine. Good stuff.
And I just checked out 6 or so of his books at two different libraries.
Cool! They're all great. It isn't terribly important, but somewhat gratifying
to read them in the order published - there are recurring characters.

After you read the first one, "Tourist Season," listen to the Jimmy Buffet song
"The Ballad of Skip Wiley" from the Barometer Soup CD. The song also mentions
Skink, who first appears in the second book, "Double Whammy."

Also, I should probably correct my spelling - it's Hiaasen (who is also credited
with vocals and hand-claps on the Buffet song).
Dougie
2005-09-20 01:50:36 UTC
Post by Sam Rouse
Post by Dougie
Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene, Excitable Boy, Genius: Best Of
Hunter S. Thompson - The Great Shark Hunt - which I've been working on
Have you read any of Carl Hiassen's novels? Warren Z. was a close friend of
his; Hiassen wrote the lyrics to a couple of Zevon songs. His writing has been
compared to Thompson (a stretch, but there's a touch of the gonzo). They are
Florida-based comic thrillers, with weird characters and occurrences that
Hiassen admits are often lifted from the local newspapers. Quite a hoot.
Heard of him, but never read him. But based on your recommendation, I
just put a hold at my library on Tourist Season. I'm also intrigued by
anyone who names a book "Naked Came The Manatee."

Dougie
Jakob Sandøy
2005-09-17 11:23:25 UTC
Ok, here we go :

Last weeks listening :

Edgar Varese - The Complete works, Asko Ensemble ("Deserts" playing on my
stereo right now)
Kåre & The Cavemen - Long Days Flight 'Till Tomorrow
Prokofiev - Favorite Orchestral Suites
Mike Keneally - Nonkertompf
Kiss - Kiss
1349 - Beyond The Apocalypse
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti
Frank Zappa - Jazz From Hell
Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
Eddie Jobson - Theme Of Secrets
Various Artists (Coltrane, Mingus, P Sanders a.o) - Red Hot On Impulse
Gehenna - Adimiron Black
Jello Biafra - Machinegun In The Clowns Hand

Last weeks viewing :

Marx Bros - Cocoanuts
Marx Bros - Duck Soup
Samsara (a tibetan movie)
Armaggedon Over Wacken Live 2004
The Residents - Wormwood
The Simpsons classics - Heaven And Hell
also, some Norwegian comedy stuff on tv + "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory"
(cinema).

....and reading :

The R.Crumb Handbook
Ian Shirley - Meet The Residents
.........and some newspapers.

Jakob
Brian Bernardini
2005-09-17 12:35:03 UTC
Current listening:

Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From
Fear Through The Eyes of Madness - Holy crap, this band kicks my ass,
and this new album totally rules my world.

FZ - April 26, 1988 - I'm slowing reaching my goal of having every show
from the 1988 tour. Currently, I have 58 shows, and need 23.

Ethel/Joe Jackson/Todd Rundgren - June 26, 2005 - A wonderful AUD
recording from Berlin, the encore features all three performing "Got The
Time", which just makes me drool. Todd and Ethel's rendition of
"Pretending To Care" is one of the most glorious creations on the
planet. (When I saw them, though, Joe and Ethel did "The Other Me",
which is one of my favorite Joe songs ever.)

Neal Morse - November 12, 2003 - One of the "Testimony" shows. The
preaching gets to be a bit much, but damn, that man can write some fine
music. And you can't beat a "June"/"Stranger In Your Soul" encore. Well,
you could, but you would have to use a pretty big shovel, and you might
hurt yourself in the process.

Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, Deadwing - On the whole, I
think I prefer "Lightbulb Sun" to "Stupid Dream". I've installed
"Deadwing" in my car's CD player to prepare for the show in NYC on
October 1. Anybody here going?

Various popular hip-hop/R&B from the 80s - for the sub gigs I'm doing
with the cheesy cover band.

Current viewing:

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - I know the purists will complain
about things that were changed or left out, but it's still a great
little film.

Michael Palin: Himalaya - A great 6-part series about Michael Palin's
trip in and around...well, duh. Even if you turn the sound down, it's
worth the 6 hours to watch it just for the visuals alone, which are
breathtaking.

MST3K - "Gamera" - God bless those who are archiving this stuff, that's
all I'm saying. I forgot how good this show was. I was disappointed that
this one didn't have the "Gamera" song in it, though. (Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat! Gamera's full of turtle meat! We believe in
GA-MER-A!")

Current reading:

Weird Pennsylvania - From the success of "Weird NJ" magazine and the
initial books, they've branched off into a series of books about
folklore and strange things in every state. Got this one signed by the
author. I discovered there's some sort of haunted tunnels in my hometown
that I never knew about. I'd also suggest reading "Weird NJ" magazine,
even if you don't live there. Fascinating stuff about ghost stories,
strange places, abandoned buildings, etc.

The lectures for my online grad course.

Current drinking:

Mostly Yuengling, as usual. Some Corona in there as well. Shots are
usually consumed at the cheesy cover band gigs. Canadian Club was the
most recent, as I recall.

-B

Dougie
2005-09-20 02:14:32 UTC
Post by Brian Bernardini
MST3K - "Gamera" -
One of the very first ones I ever saw. In fact, I think it was the
second.
Post by Brian Bernardini
God bless those who are archiving this stuff, that's
all I'm saying.
More info-mation be what I need.
Post by Brian Bernardini
I forgot how good this show was.
I've been re-discovering it via my campaign to warp my child's mind
beyond repair via things like The Giant Gila Monster, Horror At Party
Beah, It Conquered The World, and City Limits. Katie is an ADDICT
already. She doesn't even remotely get 94% of the jokes, and she laughs
her tiny butt off anyway. Nelson did his Cookie Monster impersonation
in one movie, and me and Katie were yelling "Coooook-ie!!!!" at each
other the rest of the day, and she'd fall apart laughing EVERY TIME.

But the best was The Leech Woman. When she takes the youth potion and
it backfires and she starts aging fast, and Servo starts screaming
"Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!" every two seconds (yes, think Beverly
Hillbillies), Katie looked like she'd just found Jesus. Ever see a
four-year old stare at a gumball-machine robot as if it's her personal
savior? We yelled "Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!" at each other a LOT that
day. Anything to watch my girl crack up the way she does.

I was disappointed that
Post by Brian Bernardini
this one didn't have the "Gamera" song in it, though. (Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat! Gamera's full of turtle meat! We believe in
GA-MER-A!")
It doesn't? Hmmm, maybe in one of the other Gamera movies? I can't
remember. I DO remember Servo's "Tibby, sweet Tibby" song, which made
me piss myself and blow a gallon of snot out my nose at the same time.
and that just doesn't happen often, you know.

Holy fuck. I just found out that the Indy library has all the DVD box
sets that recently have come out of MST.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got my leg up,
Dougie
Brian Bernardini
2005-09-21 02:39:02 UTC
http://www.dapcentral.org will reveal all.

Shaniqua Propecia
2005-10-07 19:20:59 UTC
oh my!!!

the alt.binaries.multimedia.mst3k

news group is GOD!

hoooraaaay! i'm not the only one that is diggin the Gamera song!!! ;-)

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!
Dougie
o***@gmail.com
2005-09-17 17:48:03 UTC
Nothing. Going deaf.
Bernt Oterholt
2005-09-17 20:52:18 UTC
listening:

Home:

*Pieper/Schroeder - the very duo
*Maston, sideproject thing from Ty Tabor of King's X
*King's X - Ogre Tones .. new album ... kinda like Gretchen meets Dogman if
any of you are familiar with King's X, the song Alone which have been
available for download on insideOutMusic .... available from sept.27
*Mike Keneally & Napoleon Murphy Brock - Umea 04
*Jaga Jazzist - a livingroom hush, a very good friend of mine, Nils Martin
Larsen joined Jaga this summer, if you haven't checked out Jaga Jazzist yet
... do it !
*Secret Rivals of Lama w/Nils Martin Larsen
*Circus Maximus - 1st. Chapter ( Norwegian ProgMetal )
*Pagans Mind - Enigmatic : Calling ( Norwegian PowerMetal )
*Francis Dunnery - the Gullys Flats Boys

CruiseMusic:

Porqupine Tree - Deadwing
Mike keneally Band - DOG
Ty Tabor - Naomis solar pumpkin
Frank Zappa - the best band you never heard in your life
After All - N.C.I.D ( prog from Hungary )
John Zorn - Naked City
Bryan Beller - View

Watching:
Steve Vai - Live at Astoria
Mike Keneally - DOG
Zappa Live New York 1981
YES 35 anniversary tour
Dixie Dregs

Reading:
Gary Larsons Far Side Gallery - just got 6 of the Far Side books HILARIOUS
Asimov - Foundation
ClassicRock mag.
transcripts

Doing:
daytime - working as a car dealer
evenings - Rehearsing for studiosessions and making music for an acoustic
duo and tries to come up with excuses for wifey about all the playing LOL

Drinking ...... to much Cawfee ... and smokin too many cigarettes ...
Dougie
m***@gmail.com
2005-09-19 16:11:30 UTC
The following list is by no means comprehensive but gives a good
representative sampling...

Listening:
Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier (Edwin Fischer & Robert Levin), Six
Partitas (Trevor Pinnock)
Prokofiev: Piano Concertos (Forget the guy's name but he's damn good,
and it's not Richter)
Schubert: Symphonies (Bohm/BPO), Late String Quartets & String Quintet
(Emerson + Rostropovich)
Brahms: Symphonies (Sanderling/Staatskapelle Dresden), Piano Concerto
No.2 (Bohm/VPO/um, possibly Richter)
Martha Argerich: Debut Recital (which contains one of my favorite piano
pieces, Prokofiev's Toccata Op.11, among other things)

Watching:
Simpsons Season 5
F For Fake
Corpse Bride
Red Dwarf
Jeeves & Wooster

Drinking:
St. Peters Golden Ale
That pseudo-Belgian Abbey ale that's made in upstate NY, it's not
Hennepin but it's the same brewery... anyway..
Wolaver's IPA
some red Bordeaux wines until that got too expensive
A whole lot of coffee

Eating:
Overcooked grilled tuna
Soba noodles in Kikkoman clear broth
Delicious, delicious hashbrowns

Reading:
Philip K. Dick, Jane Austen, Homer, Isaac Asimov and Octavia Butler
(sometimes simultaneously, yes)

That's a nice sampling. For more details see my blog o' reviews:
http://mikepierry.blogspot.com/

MP
Sheryl
2005-09-19 23:52:11 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
The following list is by no means comprehensive but gives a good
representative sampling...
Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier (Edwin Fischer & Robert Levin), Six
Partitas (Trevor Pinnock)
Prokofiev: Piano Concertos (Forget the guy's name but he's damn good,
and it's not Richter)
Schubert: Symphonies (Bohm/BPO), Late String Quartets & String Quintet
(Emerson + Rostropovich)
Brahms: Symphonies (Sanderling/Staatskapelle Dresden), Piano Concerto
No.2 (Bohm/VPO/um, possibly Richter)
Martha Argerich: Debut Recital (which contains one of my favorite
piano pieces, Prokofiev's Toccata Op.11, among other things)
Slighty different genres:
Laurie Berkner "Under a Shady Tree"
Misc. - cursed Disney Princess cd (yes, STILL)
Sugar Ray - Best of
Black Eyed Peas - Monkey Business (albeit quietly - work might not
appreciate track 5)
Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk (Katester loves Lets Get it Started)
misc. Kevin Gilbert
misc. Heywood Banks

Watching:
Zoboomafoo
Dragon Tales
Caillou (how I hate his voice)

Which reminds me - I saw the first 15-20 minutes of Napolean Dynamite. I
hated him. Was that the desired effect?
(lah dit dit dah dit doot)
Sheryl's blog http://almsthvn.livejournal.com
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-20 00:45:53 UTC
Post by Sheryl
misc. Heywood Banks
Yeah toast! Heywood is my best friend - I've got a picture to prove it. I love Heywood.

Besides, there's 18 wheels on a big rig!

Alan
Brian Bernardini

Sheryl
2005-09-20 02:49:29 UTC
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Post by Sheryl
misc. Heywood Banks
Yeah toast! Heywood is my best friend - I've got a picture to prove it. I love Heywood.
Besides, there's 18 wheels on a big rig!
Alan
Are you looking at the world through flies eyes again?
Sheryl's blog http://almsthvn.livejournal.com
da9ve
2005-09-20 03:48:33 UTC
Post by Sheryl
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Post by Sheryl
misc. Heywood Banks
Yeah toast! Heywood is my best friend - I've got a picture to prove
it. I love Heywood.
Besides, there's 18 wheels on a big rig!
Alan
Are you looking at the world through flies eyes again?
Excuse me, your forehead's on fire.

That happened once at the Baked Potato, you know. The 26 April 2003
Keneally/Lunn/Panos power-trio show. An MK-fan sitting in the far
corner got his hair caught on fire somehow, and I was just DESPERATE to
find someone who would get the joke. But I dunno if they know about
Heywood out in CA.

d9
Chris Ingalls
2005-09-20 10:30:45 UTC
I'm going through another Randy Newman rediscovery period. I picked up
a used copy of his surprisingly out-of-print 1999 album "Bad Love,"
which is very nice.

Listening to a lot of Bach's "Art ot Fugue," too.

I also made a great mix a couple of weeks ago called "Glengarry Glenn
Gould" that has me rediscovering a few gems from my collection,
including Chris Opperman's "Sharel's Lullabye II" and "Me, Innate" from
"Wooden Smoke Asleep."

Chris
Michael J. Ventura
2005-09-20 10:56:11 UTC
Sir Paul - "Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard, " with DVD.

Seeing him in Boston in, let's see, six days - taking my seven-year-old.
First concert for him. Not quite Kiss on the "Dynasty" tour, but what the
hell, right Ron?

mike v
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-20 11:18:04 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Seeing him in Boston in, let's see, six days - taking my seven-year-old.
First concert for him. Not quite Kiss on the "Dynasty" tour, but what the
hell, right Ron?
No, but what is. That was my first rock concert - second concert overall to Johnny Cash in 1971.
$11, I think. The T-shirt was $7. And I didn't think Gene was a douchebag then.

Alan
Michael J. Ventura
2005-09-20 21:50:53 UTC
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Seeing him in Boston in, let's see, six days - taking my seven-year-old.
First concert for him. Not quite Kiss on the "Dynasty" tour, but what the
hell, right Ron?
No, but what is. That was my first rock concert - second concert overall
to Johnny Cash in 1971. $11, I think. The T-shirt was $7. And I didn't
think Gene was a douchebag then.
Alan
Well, that makes three of us - that's why I mentioned Ron, because he told
me that was his first rock concert as well.

Have we done a "first concert" thread yet? I just think that it's funny that
three of us have the same experience.

mike v
Dave Wilcher
2005-09-20 22:19:16 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Have we done a "first concert" thread yet? I just think that it's
funny that three of us have the same experience.
First Rock concert? Aerosmith, although I uhh.. don't remember much
about it. The band weren't the only ones who were herbally and
chemically enhanced. I think the next show was Blue Oyster Cult.

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-21 01:10:40 UTC
Post by Dave Wilcher
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Have we done a "first concert" thread yet? I just think that it's
funny that three of us have the same experience.
First Rock concert? Aerosmith, although I uhh.. don't remember much
about it. The band weren't the only ones who were herbally and
chemically enhanced. I think the next show was Blue Oyster Cult.
dave
Well, as I said, Kiss on the Dynasty tour was my first rock concert. Complete with opening act New
England (I think I'm one of three people who has the full New England catalog - plus a live promo
disc). Johnny Cash was the first concert, and I was horribly intimidated by him, even 100 feet
away. The Johnny Cash Show in 1971, with the Statler Brothers, the Carter Family and Carl Perkins.
I don't have the ticket stub, but I think the tickets were $3.50 or $4.50. I came fairly close to
seeing Queen around the same time as Kiss (a few months later, I think), but the ordeal getting
permission to see Kiss was too much to get to see Queen, too. Never did get to see them, and I
regret that.

Alan
J. D. Mack
2005-09-21 01:33:10 UTC
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:10:40 -0400, Alan Tignanelli
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Have we done a "first concert" thread yet? I just think that it's
funny that three of us have the same experience.
Mine was Emerson Lake and Palmer on the Works tour, after they ditched
the orchestra. I was in eighth grade. I went with a friend and his
father. The stranger next to me offered me a hit. I envied him,
because I sure couldn't afford that....nah! (For the record, I
declined, never having even seen the stuff before. Jeez, I was only a
kid. This guy was an adult. WTF!?).

J. D.
Brian Bernardini
2005-09-21 02:38:06 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Have we done a "first concert" thread yet? I just think that it's
funny that three of us have the same experience.
Mine was Emerson Lake and Palmer on the Works tour, after they ditched
the orchestra. I was in eighth grade. I went with a friend and his
father. The stranger next to me offered me a hit. I envied him,
because I sure couldn't afford that....nah! (For the record, I
declined, never having even seen the stuff before. Jeez, I was only a
kid. This guy was an adult. WTF!?).
J. D.
I believe my first rock concert was Sha-Na-Na, with Chuck Berry opening.
No, seriously.

-B

Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-21 02:58:41 UTC
Post by Brian Bernardini
I believe my first rock concert was Sha-Na-Na, with Chuck Berry opening.
No, seriously.
We were supposed to see Chuck Berry and the Four Tops play a post-game concert after a Pirates game
(final game of the season). We got to go down on the turf at Three Rivers Stadium and ever' damn
thing. Except the game went one extra inning and Chuck didn't show up. Lots of rumors about it,
and I believe I read somewhere later that if he can't go on at the scheduled time, he won't, but I
don't know if there's any accuracy to it. The Tops did a longer than planned show, we had free
chicken, and right after, we left and headed over to the late great Syria Mosque to see Neil Young
(that's where I saw Frank three times, twice with that Keneally guy).

Alan
John Willcoxon
2005-09-21 10:36:10 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Have we done a "first concert" thread yet? I just think that it's
funny that three of us have the same experience.
AC/DC with Pat Travers. 1979 Highway To Hell tour.......

JWDQ
Tom Yost
2005-09-21 18:28:40 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Have we done a "first concert" thread yet? I just think that it's
funny that three of us have the same experience.
Possibly has been mentioned here before.

My first concert was a three band bill that included The Flamin'
Groovies, Golden Earring (pre- Radar Love days) and Iggy & the
Stooges. I had never heard of any of them.

Ludlow Garage, Cincinnati Ohio
I was in the ninth grade, that would make it circa 1969-70

We went as part of a "HI-Y" (YMCA youth club) group outing. The other
HI-Y clubs held fund raisers like car washes. We went to rock
concerts. We later went to see Grand Funk RR (also Ludlow Garage),
then a 12-hour festival type show at the Cincinnati Gardens that
included Brownsville Station, Amboy Dukes and Mountain.

Tom
Dave Wilcher
2005-09-21 20:39:04 UTC
Post by Tom Yost
My first concert was a three band bill that included The Flamin'
Groovies, Golden Earring (pre- Radar Love days) and Iggy & the
Stooges. I had never heard of any of them.
Ludlow Garage, Cincinnati Ohio
I was in the ninth grade, that would make it circa 1969-70
We went as part of a "HI-Y" (YMCA youth club) group outing. The other
HI-Y clubs held fund raisers like car washes. We went to rock
concerts. We later went to see Grand Funk RR (also Ludlow Garage),
then a 12-hour festival type show at the Cincinnati Gardens that
included Brownsville Station, Amboy Dukes and Mountain.
I've seen a few Ludlow Garage shows on Dime-A-Dozen. Did you make it to the
Cincinnati Pop Fest at Crosley Field? I downloaded that a couple of months
back; the infamous Iggy Pop/Peanut Butter incident happened there.
I think it was creamy, the bastard.

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain
Tom Yost
2005-09-26 22:32:32 UTC
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:39:04 GMT, "Dave Wilcher"
Post by Dave Wilcher
Post by Tom Yost
My first concert was a three band bill that included The Flamin'
Groovies, Golden Earring (pre- Radar Love days) and Iggy & the
Stooges. I had never heard of any of them.
Ludlow Garage, Cincinnati Ohio
I was in the ninth grade, that would make it circa 1969-70
We went as part of a "HI-Y" (YMCA youth club) group outing. The other
HI-Y clubs held fund raisers like car washes. We went to rock
concerts. We later went to see Grand Funk RR (also Ludlow Garage),
then a 12-hour festival type show at the Cincinnati Gardens that
included Brownsville Station, Amboy Dukes and Mountain.
I've seen a few Ludlow Garage shows on Dime-A-Dozen. Did you make it to the
Cincinnati Pop Fest at Crosley Field? I downloaded that a couple of months
back; the infamous Iggy Pop/Peanut Butter incident happened there.
I think it was creamy, the bastard.
Crunchy ! Dammit!

The ABB released a CD recorded Live at Ludlow Garage - I suppose that
would be the most notoriety the former
parking-garage-turned-rock-venue ever had.

I just remember my early adolescent mind being intrigued by the items
for sale at the snack bar: fresh fruit, herbal tea, bagels...
(whaaat?)

Never saw any concerts or "fests" at Crosley, but I did see quite a
few baseball games there.

Does the show you have indicate a date?

The "fest" I attended was indoors at the Gardens, spring of '70 I
guess...

Tom
Dave Wilcher
2005-09-26 23:03:51 UTC
Post by Tom Yost
Crunchy ! Dammit!
;-)
Post by Tom Yost
The ABB released a CD recorded Live at Ludlow Garage - I suppose that
would be the most notoriety the former
parking-garage-turned-rock-venue ever had.
I just remember my early adolescent mind being intrigued by the items
for sale at the snack bar: fresh fruit, herbal tea, bagels...
(whaaat?)
Damn hippies.
Post by Tom Yost
Never saw any concerts or "fests" at Crosley, but I did see quite a
few baseball games there.
Does the show you have indicate a date?
6-16-70 - I'm not sure who all appeared that day, but the edited braodcast
has
Grand Funk, Mountain, The Stooges, Alice Cooper, and Traffic
Post by Tom Yost
The "fest" I attended was indoors at the Gardens, spring of '70 I
guess...
Beats me - I was only 10 years old. LOL!

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain
Dougie
2005-09-22 01:25:32 UTC
Post by Tom Yost
My first concert was a three band bill that included The Flamin'
Groovies, Golden Earring (pre- Radar Love days) and Iggy & the
Stooges. I had never heard of any of them.
One of the bands I'm in right now used to do the Groovies' Teenage
Head. Which is both a great song and something I'd really like about
now.

Listening to one of Iggy's newer albums tonight. Naughty Little Doggie.
I do believe that "Pussy Walk" might qualify as the greatest song ever
written.

Dougie
Scott Ventura
2005-09-21 20:24:09 UTC
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Well, as I said, Kiss on the Dynasty tour was my first rock concert.
Complete with opening act New England (I think I'm one of three people who
has the full New England catalog - plus a live promo disc). Johnny Cash
was the first concert, and I was horribly intimidated by him, even 100
feet away. The Johnny Cash Show in 1971, with the Statler Brothers, the
Carter Family and Carl Perkins. I don't have the ticket stub, but I think
the tickets were $3.50 or $4.50. I came fairly close to seeing Queen
around the same time as Kiss (a few months later, I think), but the ordeal
getting permission to see Kiss was too much to get to see Queen, too.
Never did get to see them, and I regret that.
Funny you should say that - The 'Dynasty' show was my first rock concert,
then two years later, my second show was Queen with Billy Squier at the
Boston Garden.

sv
--
"Remember your humanity, and forget the rest."

-the Russell-Einstein Manifesto 1955
Bill
2005-09-24 14:27:56 UTC
One Truth Band (w/ John McLaughlin, L. Shankar) and Stanley Clarke at
Regis College in Denver in 1978. I had to leave early since the last bus
leaving the area on Sundays left around 9:15, so I only got to see
Stanley for a couple of songs.
Ellen Brenner
2005-09-24 20:18:34 UTC
Geez--what the heck *was* my first rock concert?!? Obviously, it must not
have made that much of an impression on me ...

Okay, this wasn't really a "rock" concert as such, rather a folk concert,
but it was in the very early 1970s, and was decidedly
alternative-cultural-flavored, so I think it counts. In that time period,
Pete Seeger was spending a lot of time sailing the sloop Clearwater up and
down the Hudson River campaigning to get the river cleaned up and people's
consciousness raised about pollution in general. They'd make stops at
various towns along the river and put on weekend-long music festivals--kind
of tiny, cleaned-up mini-Woodstocks; for two years running they stopped in
my hometown of Nyack, and my folks took me to enjoy the festivities. The
town elders of Nyack, alarmed at all these pinko-commie-hippies descending
on their fair town, nixed a third year's return, but it was a helluva lotta
fun while it lasted.

I've actually been to precious few full-fledged rock concerts, more because
most of the bands I've been into either didn't tour at all, or only played
club venues. Plus I confess there's a lot about big concert crowds that I
don't enjoy--the large number of yahoos who seem to have come to shows to
socialize, carry on, get wasted, anything other than actually listening to
the music; the people-claustophobia aspect of being in a large pushing
shoving crowd. I did get dragged to a Grateful Dead concert once, in the old
Boston Garden. Maybe it was the incongruous environment, but I just didn't
"get it" about the scene.

/the duck
(maybe I needed to get more wasted)
--
Ellen "Miz Ducky" Brenner
http://www.mizducky.com - my homepage
http://www.lulu.com/mizducky - my virtual bookstore
Hagrinas Mivali
2005-09-24 22:31:59 UTC
Post by Ellen Brenner
Geez--what the heck *was* my first rock concert?!? Obviously, it must
not have made that much of an impression on me ...
I can't remember either. All I remember is there were two girls hitting on
me. And I mean girls, not women. So I must have been pretty young, but
past puberty. At least I got to borrow their binoculars. So much for
arenas.

The first big concert I remember was Led Zeppelin, and was the tour after
the Song Remained the Same. And the tour remained the same. I enjoyed it
back then, but in retrospect, it was not worth it, given what damage it must
have done to my ears.

I found some ticket stubs recently from some old concerts, and it's amazing
how many bands had affordable concerts. Most were under $10, and I think
even the Who was about $15 or less. Now if I want to see Simon pretending
that he still likes Garfunkel, I can donate $5000 to PBS and get a ticket.
Then they can pretend that that's the type of programming they play when
it's not time for pledge breaks.
Jon
2005-09-22 02:29:45 UTC
First rock concert:

Blood, Sweat, and Tears - Mountain - Edgar Winter Jr. at the Hollywood
Bowl. My Dad took me - I was in like 4th grade.

First real rock concert where I went and did the full-on get stoned and
everything concert thang - 1976 British Invasion show at Anaheim
Stadium: Gary Wright, Gentle Giant, Peter Framton, and Yes.

Good times ....

-jon
da9ve
2005-09-22 03:39:22 UTC
Post by Jon
Blood, Sweat, and Tears - Mountain - Edgar Winter Jr. at the Hollywood
Bowl. My Dad took me - I was in like 4th grade.
First real rock concert where I went and did the full-on get stoned and
everything concert thang - 1976 British Invasion show at Anaheim
Stadium: Gary Wright, Gentle Giant, Peter Framton, and Yes.
Good times ....
-jon
First concert: Either Johnny Cash (I think it was that one) or Ray
Stevens. With my parents, in Terre Haute, IN. I hadda be about nine or
ten for either of those.

First concert were I bought my own tickets and drove: Genesis, on the
Invisible talent tour. Still a nifty drum duel, but too much Phil out
in front. Waited out all night in sub-nard-numbing temperatures for
nosebleed seats, winter of '86/'87, during my freshman year in college.

I'm jealous of all you old, old, OLD (heh-heh) guys who got to see
Gentle Giant.

d9
Dougie
2005-09-22 04:16:41 UTC
First concert was when I was about 12. My mom and uncle took me to see
Chuck Mangione. He was well into his proto-Kenny G thing by then. I
rather like a couple of his mid 70s albums, but...yeccch.

When I was 16, I saw my first rock concert. Emerson, Lake and POWELL. I
had a friend who couldn't go, but his room mate got us tickets. The
opener was the worst match ever. Henry Lee Summer. Imagine 3000
prog-heads (in a place that could hold five or six times that number)
either bored out of their heads or yelling things at THAT coked-up
third-rate David Lee Roth wannabe.

A few years later, I had a ticket to see ELP (with the right P this
time) on the Black Moon tour. I was about ready to go out the door when
I looked at the ticket. I was getting ready to leave to a show that had
happened THE NIGHT BEFORE. I was very slightly irritated at myself.

Dougie
(Whose next concert is Friday night when my band opens for Mitch Ryder.)
JT
2005-09-23 00:21:49 UTC
I have all you first-concert muso-geeks beat. My first (non-classical)
concert?

Bobby Vinton. I kid you not.

The first one to which I drove? It was either Joe Walsh or Peter
Gabriel. Much better, I think.

- JT
Sheryl
2005-09-25 14:24:48 UTC
Post by JT
I have all you first-concert muso-geeks beat. My first (non-classical)
concert?
Bobby Vinton. I kid you not.
The first one to which I drove? It was either Joe Walsh or Peter
Gabriel. Much better, I think.
- JT
John Denver was my first :)

first one to which I didn't have my parents drive me - Queen in Charleston
WV
Aug. 16, 1980 - The Game tour
Sheryl's blog http://almsthvn.livejournal.com
Biffy the Elephant Shrew
2005-10-03 12:11:10 UTC
Post by Sheryl
John Denver was my first :)
John Denver was the *opening act* at my second concert. The headliner
was Blood, Sweat & Tears. At the time, Denver was really only known for
being the writer of Peter, Paul & Mary's hit "Leaving on a Jet Plane."

My first concert was Iron Butterfly in December 1969 at the San Diego
Sports Arena. Second on the bill was It's a Beautiful Day, and the
opening act was a male-female acoustic duo, probably local, called Too
People. As far as I can tell, they never made a record, at least not
under that name. I remember that they did "Mr. Bojangles" with a funny
outro.

I enjoyed seeing the Iron Butts, but I was unprepared for the nature of
the rock concert experience--I didn't know that music could be THAT
loud, or that the band would be so far away. The coolest part is that
Doug Ingle announced from the stage that they were recording a live
album at that show, and sure enough, _Iron Butterfly Live_ came out a
few months later.

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew
Michael J. Ventura
2005-10-03 16:03:01 UTC
Post by Biffy the Elephant Shrew
Post by Sheryl
[...]
You're lucky...if Led Zeppelin had been the opener, you wouldn't have even
*seen* Iron Butterfly.

mike v
Dougie
2005-10-04 04:38:31 UTC
Post by Biffy the Elephant Shrew
My first concert was Iron Butterfly in December 1969 at the San Diego
Sports Arena. Second on the bill was It's a Beautiful Day,
I'm high just THINKING about that. :)

I'll never forget the first time I heard the first album by It's A
Beautiful Day, decades after it came out becuase I wasn't born at the
time. I think I heard it around 1992 or so. I had driven from Marion
down to Bloomington (thinking about going back to school at the time,
which I didn't, but I'm back to thinking about it recently) and most of
the drive home was in thick fog. I missed a turn, and somewhere along
Highway 31 between Indianapolis and Kokomo, I had on an incredibly cool
rock station. (Can't remember the name now, but they're long gone, of
course.) They would play a complete album every night, often a very
cool one.

Anyway, I was driving 70MPH behind a truck (because it was the only way
to keep up with him to see his rear lights in the zero-visibility fog
with my foot two millimeters from the brake praying like all fuck that
I didn't ram right into his ass) and on comes the complete first album
by It's A Beautiful Day. I was completely floored. It triggered serious
psych/prog neurological centers in my brain and made me more or less
jizz all over myself while trying not to die behind a fucking truck.

Didn't hear it again for another 4 or 5 years, when I finally got the
CD. It rules. I still laugh to hear where Deep Purple got Child In Time
from. What a cool album.

White bird must fly,
Dougie
Ron Moses
2005-09-21 01:15:28 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Well, that makes three of us - that's why I mentioned Ron, because he told
me that was his first rock concert as well.
I should put forth the disclaimer that I actually saw Beatlemania twice
prior to seeing Kiss in '79, but I think those count as theatrical
presentations rather than rock concerts, no?

And the opening act for Kiss when I saw them was Judas Priest.

ron
Scott Ventura
2005-09-21 20:21:01 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Seeing him in Boston in, let's see, six days - taking my seven-year-old.
First concert for him. Not quite Kiss on the "Dynasty" tour, but what
the hell, right Ron?
No, but what is. That was my first rock concert - second concert overall
to Johnny Cash in 1971. $11, I think. The T-shirt was $7. And I didn't
think Gene was a douchebag then.
Alan
Well, that makes three of us - that's why I mentioned Ron, because he told
me that was his first rock concert as well.
Make that four, but Mike already knew that.

sv

Sam Rouse
2005-09-21 23:09:38 UTC
Post by Scott Ventura
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Seeing him in Boston in, let's see, six days - taking my seven-year-old.
First concert for him. Not quite Kiss on the "Dynasty" tour, but what
the hell, right Ron?
No, but what is. That was my first rock concert - second concert overall
to Johnny Cash in 1971. $11, I think. The T-shirt was $7. And I didn't
think Gene was a douchebag then.
Alan
Well, that makes three of us - that's why I mentioned Ron, because he told
me that was his first rock concert as well.
Make that four, but Mike already knew that.
Five, sorta - first rock concerts were Sons of Champlin (opened by Notary Sojac)
and Cold Blood, in the boobing megatropolis of Roseburg, OR. First concert by a
band I'd ever heard of at the time, with vinyl I'd actually played, in the Big
City of Portland, was KISS, opened by Rush. (IIRC, KISS had just released
Dressed To Kill, and Rush had only one album.) Burned my tonsils breathing fire
with a Bic lighter.
Dave Wilcher
2005-09-21 23:29:23 UTC
Post by Sam Rouse
in the boobing megatropolis of
Roseburg, OR.
I'm going to have to visit there...

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain
Michael J. Ventura
2005-09-22 00:23:19 UTC
Post by Dave Wilcher
Post by Sam Rouse
in the boobing megatropolis of
Roseburg, OR.
I'm going to have to visit there...
dave
She Had The Jugs

Yes, she was witty; she was intelligent. She was born of high station. She
spoke and walked proudly. She was the kind who displayed nobility, who
showed style and class. But above all, she had the jugs.

Many people called her by her last name; some closer friends had a
confidence with her and shared the intimacy of her first name. But to me,
she was always "Lady jugs a-plenty."

It is true. She was clever and she was charming, but above all, she had the
jugs.

Maybe she lives there...

mike v
Sam Rouse
2005-09-22 00:44:17 UTC
I'm glad you didn't riff on "burned my tonsils"...
Bill
2005-11-05 16:44:06 UTC
Post by Sam Rouse
Post by Scott Ventura
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Post by Michael J. Ventura
[...]
First Concert - John McLaughlin opening for Stanley Clarke, June 1978
First Rock Concert - Frank Zappa, April 1980
Ron Moses
2005-09-20 18:05:58 UTC
Post by Michael J. Ventura
Sir Paul - "Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard, " with DVD.
Seeing him in Boston in, let's see, six days - taking my seven-year-old.
First concert for him. Not quite Kiss on the "Dynasty" tour, but what the
hell, right Ron?
Hey, you gotta start somewhere.

ron
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-20 11:19:20 UTC
Post by da9ve
Excuse me, your forehead's on fire.
But how's your pancreas?

Alan
Dougie
2005-09-20 13:33:54 UTC
Post by Alan Tignanelli
Post by da9ve
Excuse me, your forehead's on fire.
But how's your pancreas?
My baby does the Hanky Pancreas.

My windshield wipers can barely run,
Dougie
Alan Tignanelli
2005-09-20 11:18:27 UTC
Post by Sheryl
Are you looking at the world through flies eyes again?
Yes. And you can just buzz off.

But if I had a bulldozer...

Alan